Welcome to our kitchen! Our goal is to create tasty kitchen concoctions and share them with friends and family. We hope you enjoy browsing through our favorite appetizers, breads, breakfasts, desserts, meals, and sides, as well as looking through general baking and cooking tips. Feel free to leave comments and suggestions of how to make these recipes even better. Enjoy!


Monday, March 9, 2009

The Basics of Bread Making

Bread making is a science. There are variables, such as temperature and humidity, that are out of our control. This means that we have to know our dough (and know what it likes) in order to have good bread.

I am by no means a professional baker, but I enjoy eating bread so much that I also enjoy experimenting with it. I'd like to share a few basics that I have learned about baking bread:

Yeast:
I have always used Fleischmann's Instant Dry Yeast (as opposed to active dry yeast, which requires proofing and takes about twice as long to rise). Some people say that when using instant yeast, warm water is not required to activate the yeast; however, I always use warm (100-115 F) water. Upon adding water, I mix the yeast and water vigorously until a bit frothy.
2 1/4 tsp = 1 package

Flour:
I normally use unbleached white flour as the main ingredient in my breads. I enjoy adding in a bit of wheat or rye flour for flavor. Many people say that using only bread flour is best. Some breads I have made use rice flour as their main component (these breads are very soft). I stick to my unbleached white flour, because that is what I like best.

Also very important to remember is that when you add flour to your dough, you should be watching the dough closer than you are watching the recipe. So many factors determine the amount of flour that your dough will need on the particular day that you are making it. Using the dough as your guide to how much flour to add is especially important while kneading the dough.

Rising:
After mixing and kneading the dough, only two steps remain: rising and baking. When using instant dry yeast, the dough is to "rest" 10 minutes after kneading. Then, it is to be formed into loaf, covered, and allowed rise until doubled (30-60 minutes). If making the dough into forms (rolls, doughnuts) other than a loaf, knead the dough, allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes as a whole, mold the dough into the desired shapes, and then allow to rise an additional 30 minutes. The dough should always rise in a warm, draft-free place. I find that on top of a preheating oven is a perfect place for it to rise. "Scoring" or slicing 1/4" deep slits into the bread prior to cooking allows the bread to rise further while cooking.

Baking:
Using a stone, covered in corn meal, is best for baking breads. Baking sheets also work fine. I have recently learned that bakery ovens have steamers inside them that continually spray the bread, giving it the hard crust and sealing in the moistness. I am told that these steamers can be simulated in a home oven by removing the bread from the oven and spraying it with water every 10 minutes while baking. I am still perfecting this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis